Saturday, March 29, 2014

Brave girl

This little cutie ended up in the ER a few nights ago to get stitches in her lip/cheek.  Cameron and Mackenzie were swinging, she was swinging on her stomach and started twisting her swing.  Before I could say anything, Cameron's swing hit her in the face and blood was everywhere!  I carried her inside and soaked through 2 paper towels.  Cameron felt so bad, he came in and got her an ice pack from the freezer.  After I got some of the blood cleaned up off her face I realized it wasn't going to stop anytime soon and there was a gaping hole that needed stitches.  So we loaded up in the car (I didn't even grab her shoes or wash off the blood from my arms and hands) and headed to the hospital.  I called Jeremy and he was just getting ready to leave work, so he met us at the hospital.



After the initial shock and pain went away she was her happy self.  She got "a bracelet" on her arm with her name and played in the waiting area until they called us back.....

The doctor decided it would be best to call a plastic surgeon on call since the cut was on her face.  When he finally got there he looked at it and said they would need to sedate her, but the procedure would be quick.  So Cameron and I left the room, because neither of us wanted to hear her cry when they put "the straw" in her arm.  We wandered the halls and found some crayons and paper for Cameron to color while we waited.  We went back to the room 10 minutes later and the doctors and nurse said "she is tough, she didn't even cry or make any fuss"  Jeremy held her on his lap and he said she made a little grunt/sigh and that was it.  WOW, much more brave then mommy!!  


she thought it was funny they put a "straw in my arm" and "stickers on my belly"  the staff was so cute with her and couldn't get over how amazingly brave and cute she was.  She was just happy and talking to everyone, she was so good to open her mouth and let them look inside.  I was amazed at how well she did.  We had to wait a long time before they even started it too.  Mommy and Kenzie read books and she pretended she was the Dr. and gave mommy a check up.  Daddy came back with a neighbor to give her a blessing before the procedure started.  


Finally the sedation kicked in and the stitches began....8 stitches!  The sedation wore off during the stitches and she started kicking the Dr. and moving her arms so they had to give her a little more.  We were in the room the whole time and watched it all go down.  Cameron colored a picture for Mackenzie and was so sweet and concerned for his sister.  After it was over Cameron and daddy left to get dinner (we were all starving it was 8 pm) and mommy laid on the bed with Kenzie while she came out of anesthesia.  She was so funny and wouldn't sit still, she kept trying to sit up and would fall back saying "I can't stay up" and she kept flopping around.  About 9 pm they gave her a popcicle and she ate about half of it, they said she was ready to be released.  We went home and she wanted to give Cameron a hug so we went in his room before he fell asleep and they hugged.  He told her she was brave and reminded her he colored a picture for her.  Then Mackenzie was asleep before I got her in her bed :)

A week later she got her stitches out.  Once again, she sat so brave while the Dr. cut them out.   The stitches inside her mouth had already come out and it didn't heal up too well, but he wasn't concerned with it because he said the inside of the mouth will fill in and heal itself.  The outside of the mouth healed great.  We go back in 2 weeks for a follow up.  After we left there we went and got a well deserved doughnut!  She kept saying "now I can chew on his side (pointing to the right side of her mouth) I got my stitches out."

2 comments:

  1. We are so sorry this had to happen to her...& you! Raising children is quite an undertaking, but soooooo worth it. Glad she was so brave & sounds like Cameron was so cute with her. We love you Kenzie!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so brave! She must take after Daddy, he used to get stitches, IVs, blood drawn, and never flinched - I was the one crying! Cameron is a great big brother!

    ReplyDelete