I feel so bad for Cameron! When we went to his 4 month well-check, the pediatrician commented that his head was showing an asymmetrical shape. She said it is very common, but it can be corrected if we catch it in time...so she recommended we go to a specalist. I took Cameron to the Dr. she referred us to a few weeks ago & he said Cameron has Positional Plagiocephaly and recommended we try Plagiocephalic Applied Pressure Orthosis also known as Cranial Remolding. I was pretty worried and nervous about all the big words, not to mention we were at Primary Children's Medical Center...the biggest hospital in the Country known to treat children with major medical issues. Although I left there a little scared I definitely felt blessed because it could be a lot worse. At least this is just a "cosmetic" issue and not a major health problem or serious medical condition like I saw with all the other kids up there! We are blessed for sure! We went last week to a place called Fit-Well Prosthetic & Orthotic Center for a consultation and to start the paperwork for the insurance...since it will be over $1800 we wanted to make sure the insurance would help out!

They called me the following week and said the insurance would cover most of it and so we went in today for the Casting of his head so they can make the "helmet". He was in his diaper and they put a bib on him and a really tight nylon thing on his head. I thought it was too tight since his eyes were pulled back until they were slanted and his cheeks were pushed out so chubby! I couldn't help but laugh though, he was such a good sport and was totally smiling at the guy and talking to him. This was the preparation before the messy casting part...


The guy got out the plaster and cast stuff and went to town making a mold of his head.

It got pretty messy and I had to wash him all off before I could put his clothes back on him & gave him a bath when we got home. His patience wore out after 15 minutes or so...he had to sit there and let it dry for awhile and he started crying. I felt so bad for him. We go back in 2 weeks for the final fitting and then he has to start wearing the helmet for 23 hours a day. I can only take it off of him to give him a bath. They said the treatment takes 3-6 months and we have to go back every week or so for follow-ups. I have a feeling he isn't going to be too happy about it. I tried telling him not to be embarassed, it was football season and he would fit right in. I think we are both a little worried people will stare and be rude about it.
WOW! What a process. You both deserve GOLD STARS for that one. Cameron is such a special,stong litle boy. He will do just fine. He couldn't have better parents to help him get through this! Aren't we glad they can fix him right now, when he won't remember what even happened. He is so handsom it doesn't matter what the back of his head looks like, but I know he would be mad at both of you if you hadn't tried what they have to offer to correct it. Hang in there. Maybe this will help him to always remember to wear his helmet when riding a bike:) Love, Grammy J
ReplyDeleteAhhh, poor baby!! I know of a lot of kids that are wearing those helmets, for some reason it became a popular thing, so don't worry about what people think...I would think you are good parents doing what is best for your baby...which you are! I miss those cute little cheeks...they are so kissable!
ReplyDeletePoor Cam Man! Helmets are cool, didn't you guys get the memo?! Anyways, it's only 3-6 months right? One of my siblings had this issue with one of their children and they were too afraid of what people would think/say and ended up NOT doing it, and their child is now 9 years old and has a totally mis-shaped head. I'm talkin it's so bad, that the kid will never be able to have short hair cause it looks so bad. If only the parents would have nipped it in the bud when they could have. Kuddos to you two!
ReplyDelete