
Jeremy and I had been discussing getting a new vehicle for me that would be more reliable and safe (his words) since we were having a baby. Just a few days after the conversation about getting a new car and Jeremy saying "I just don't want to have it break down all of a sudden and us have to dump a bunch of money into it to keep fixing it". I reluctantly agreed to take it to Carmax to see how much they would give us for the Jeep. After they told us they would give us $1,200 (and then sell it at an auction for around $3,000) I laughed in their face and said "I don't think so". I began pleading my case for all the reasons why I
needed to keep my Jeep and how reliable it had been...it's paid off so, no car payment....I have only had to fix a few little things over the 10 years I've had it, so it's not a lemon and I haven't had to dump a bunch of money into reapirs...I love driving it even though my dad and Jeremy call it "the Tank" and hate driving it....it is totally safe...it looks good...it's 4 wheel drive...and did I mention it's paid off!!! I felt great in defending Bubba, we've known eachother for over 10 years and he's been to California and back numerous times & lived with me there helping me find my way around, lived with me in NC and drove all over finding new places & getting me where I needed to go, gotten me safely to all my desitinations, especially up to Oakley for work-a 45 minute drive up Parley's Canyon and beyond that on snowy, stormy days that would have scared off any other vehicle :) Good ol' Bubba! Well, I'm sad to say his days of living with me are coming close to an end. I suddenly have a love/hate realtionship with him. Exactly what Jeremy didn't want to happen is starting to happen!! Last month I was having a horrible, stressful day. I was sick of being pregnant, being sick and being in pain, sick of dealing with all the stress of our NC house and finding a house here...etc So I decided to take a relaxing drive up to Park City, get some lunch and look around at the outlets (not too temping to shop and buy things when you can't fit into anything :) Halfway up Parley's Canyon Bubba starts to jerk and slow down and as I make my way over to the shoulder he suddenly has zero power. I had the petal to the metal and he was only going 2 miles an hour...so I stayed on the shoulder and decided I would just keep going until he totally died. Semi trucks were flying past me and scaring me! We finally made it up the hill 30 minutes later and got off the first exit. I coasted down the hill and then he died in the middle of the intersection, I had called Jeremy to tell him what was going on. He decided to leave and come rescue me when he found out I was stuck in the middle of an intersection. Luckily I was able to start it up and pull safely into a gas station. I called AAA and they came a few minutes after Jeremy got there to haul Bubba to a mechanic. We picked him up later and were relieved to know that it was just the air filter that had somehow come off into pieces and got sucked into the engine. So $77 later I was together again with Bubba and all was fine! Jeremy still had his doubts and pushed his case for a new vehicle. Then Bubba began having problems accelerating at stop lights and wouldn't kick into gear at times. I took it to a different mechanic and they couldn't re-create the problem so they guessed it just needed a good tune up...new spark plugs, new distributor cap, new seals, a good engine cleaning etc. $655 later Bubba's a good as new! Until I'm driving it home from the mechanic and the same problem I took it in for happens. I called the mechanic and told him I was able to re-create the problem, so I took Bubba back the next day and they determined it "might" be the fuel pump. So another $300 some odd dollars goes to fix the fuel pump. A few days later I'm getting on the freeway when it just dies! Completely dies!! I hurried and started it back up and went on my way...only to have it die 4 more times in that day. Back to the mechanic I go...they think it "might" be the crank shaft sensor this time. So in goes a crank shaft sensor and we're on the road again. Until 3 days later the problem continues. I drop it off again for them to guess the next thing it "might" be...so they "think" it has something to do with it idling too low. In goes a part for the idle and back on the road we go! We'll see if that works. Jeremy and I went car looking last night and only 25% of me was sad. However, I did bring up the fact that "we have fixed a lot of stuff on it recently...so maybe since we've put that money into it, it's dumb to sell it now...it will be good for another year or two." Anyone want to buy a Jeep? I think I've fixed all the problems now :) and I don't think Jeremy is going to let me talk him into keeping Bubba around. He doesn't want to hear me say "Cameron might want to drive it when he turns 16" ha ha!
That is quite a story about poor old bubba. You almost make me sad:) Between Bubba and Tica, what are we going to do? Somehow, someway, things have a way of working out and I am sure this will too! Somehow I just can't picture you in another car!!!!!
ReplyDelete