It's been about 2 months since I discovered the roof was leaking into Mackenzie's room....the repair process has been a long one. Her room is finally fixed and put back together. Jeremy had gone on a camping trip with the scouts one weekend and I was getting ready to put Mackenzie to bed. I don't use her changing table much anymore. When I get her out of the bath I usually just take her to my bed or on the couch, sometimes just the floor. Anyway, something make me think I should put her on her changing table that night to get her ready for bed. It seemed like too much trouble to take her in her room so I decided not to, then I thought about it again....so finally I put her on her table. She usually doesn't just lay still when you put her diaper on and her pajamas. So she was kicking and rolling, kicking her lamp over. As I reached for the lamp it knocked off one of the shutters I have hanging on her wall. Behind the shutter was this lovely water bubble!! The ceiling was bowing and I was concerned about putting her to bed...what if her ceiling collapsed or this water burst through the wall?? I didn't know how bad it was, so I called a guy in the neighborhood that is a contractor to come over. He got on the roof and noticed we had a nice ice dam and major snow back up. It was going under the shingles and into her wall. We have had a really bad winter this year with more snow than the past several years. That mixed with the pitch of our roof and the angle where it ends right over her room (and one side of the garage) caused problems!
I called and made an insurance claim on that Monday and an adjuster came out about a week later and quoted the damage to her room but said they didn't do the roof adjustment quote so I had to call a roofer and he came to give his bid....such a long process!! Then the insurance gave me the run around saying they weren't going to cover the roof because they don't cover "poor workmanship" or "normal wear and tear" I had to fight that and after a week of no response we had to go ahead and fix the roof regardless if they were going to pay or not. So finally after 5 days of roofers the roof was fixed. Now the disaster clean up people could come in. They tore apart the wall and found mold! This created new issues. They had to leave fans and a dehumidifier in her room for a week to dry it out. I took everything out of her room including cleaning out her closet and taking down her curtains! She temporally moved into Cameron's room, her crib and some of her stuff made if difficult for anyone to play in his room. Cameron was so cute about the whole thing and let his sister "borrow" his room and slept downstairs in a sleeping bag....for about a week and a half! What a brave little trooper he was.
The black spots are mold.
Because the garage didn't have insulation inside they didn't have to cut as much of it out. They just cut a chunk of the wall and a chunk of the ceiling and then ran fans in there for a week. After it was all dry they came every day to work on it all and put it back together. It was super annoying to wait for workman every day and be home all day! But we survived and it is back to normal again. Oh and the insurance lady was giving me problems about paying for the mold removal etc saying we waited too long to report it and have the people come out etc. However, after fighting it and the claim being transferred to a senior adjuster it was all covered!! I never give up a good fight...
The mold specialist team had to go in and out of Mackenzie's window since they taped off her room and didn't want to expose the rest of the house/air. He was wearing a breathing mask thing, but started taking if off when I took the picture. I was trying to be sneaky, I didn't want him to know I was taking a picture. So the disaster is over. Thank heavens! It could have been worse, so I am grateful it wasn't. Hopefully we won't have any more disasters (fingers crossed)
Boy, am I ever glad that is all over for you and that your insurance paid for it!
ReplyDelete