Saturday, May 2, 2009

Jammin it up

I have to admit I don't even like jam...I don't do PB&J I do PB&H (honey is much better)...I don't like jam on toast or anything. Maybe I just don't like store bought jam. Margo makes the best strawberry jam and I've learned to like homemade jam. I asked her if she would teach me how to make it. I've always had this idea that making jam was such a long and time consuming process!
I just wanted to eat the strawberries....one for me, one for the bowl, two for me, one for the bowl...three for Cameron...

When my mom found out I was taking a jam making class at Margo's, she wanted to sign up too...Michele decided to come a long to help. As my mom always says "many hands make light work." We had fun making jam and Margo said it actually took half the time since we were all helping. As you can see the ingredients are strawberries, sugar, and sure jel. One thing that I miss about living in Charlotte is picking fresh strawberries. It was so much fun to go to the strawberry fields and get your bucket and pick until it was full. The strawberries were really small, but so sweet. They would have made delicious jam!

I think Jeremy and I have enough jam for the next several years :) The whole process was really easy and fun. I would definitely make it again, but I don't think we will be running out any time soon. I made some to give to the people who helped us move and am going to put a little sign around the jar saying "thanks for helping us out of a jam...we couldn't have moved without your help!"

2 comments:

  1. What a fun day that was! Your pictures make it look as good as I know it is going to taste. Thanks for your great idea and for inviting me along. I wonder if Margo had anythng else she can teach us. We should get together once a month for a cooking class at her house, then yours, then Michele's. I am running out of ideas after all the years I have cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! You do have a TON of jam there, maybe you'll learn to LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete