If you don't know anything about the Ragnar Relay Race or aren't a runner then this might not even sound fun to you....but it was a BLAST!! I got excited all over again just going through the pictures to post and remembering how much FUN it was! So just to fill you in, you have a team of 12 runners and 2 vans (6 runners in each van). Your team run 188 miles in less than 2 days...you start in Logan and end at the Canyons in Park City. Each person runs 3 different legs, at all different times. My first run was at 2:30 pm then 11:00 pm and then 8:00 am. Most people decorate their vans with their team name. Here is a picture of our van.
We were The Dirty Underwear Gang :)
We were The Dirty Underwear Gang :)
Here I am running my first leg. I had my team/van meet me 2 miles into my run to give me some water and spray me down...we had a weed sprayer thing that we got to put water in. It was a wonderful idea, especially since I was running at 2:30 in the afternoon in 90 degree heat!
The scenery was AMAZING! It was sooooo beautiful and we even saw 3 moose, look close in the picture and you will see them. The funny thing about picture is, we took a wrong turn (one of the Ragnar direction signs was covered up by another car) so we actually drove to the exchange place where runner #9 passes off to runner #10. We took this picture and said "oh Margo is going to freak out when she sees she is running past moose". We get to the exchange place and are waiting for Margo...Tara is all streached and ready to grab the bracelet and run....we wait and wait and wait. Finally we find out we are waiting at the wrong exchange place and Margo is waiting at the other place wondering where the heck we are! We all run back to the van and look at the map, make our way over the right place and see Margo still running. So we pull over Margo hops in Tara hops out and starts running. We explained what happened and Margo says she waited there for us but then decided to keep running and hoped we would all find each other....that definitely could have worked out BAD but we were lucky and it all turned out fine :)
Did I mention how beatiful the views were? This is what I got to see while running!
The not so fun part!! The lines to the port a pots were rediculious. Plus they had this rule that if you were caught going to the bathroom anywhere else besides the designated areas you would be automatically disqualified. I just happened to miss that part of orientation (because, ironically, I was waiting in the port a potty line). I found out that information only AFTER I fertalized a farmers field during one of my runs. Hey, when you gotta go you gotta go...especially when you are running.
Yes there was lots of adventure on this 2 day excursion. While we were waiting at the exchange place for our runner (around 3 am) 3 of us were sitting in the car talking and trying to stay warm!! The radio was on the whole time, we weren't even listening to it, it didn't even occur to us that it might run the battery down. So Tara runs in and hands off to Chris...he takes off, gives us a wave and we all get back in the van to meet him. But it wouldn't start....the battery was dead! After asking 10 people we found someone with cables to help us, but once we hooked them up it was obvious the jumper cables were dead. We tracked down some more and eventually got it started about 40 minutes after Chris had started running! We went straight to the next exchange place and hoped he wasn't there waiting for us (he is fast) but luckily he ran in shortly after we got there.
The night run was the most fun even though we had to wear reflective vests and run with head lamps! I would rather run in cooler weather than blazing heat! Most of this run was up-hill though which I wasn't really prepared for. To be honest I wasn't really prepared for any of it, I hadn't trained...I really hadn't ran since the half marathon in Moab and I hurt my knee. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity!
After all our runners finished their 2nd legs it was around 5 am and we headed to this 5 star hotel to shower while van #1 (our other 6 team members started their 3rd legs). Keep in mind we have all been in the van (suburban) for 24 hours straight....running 2 different times, eating, trying to rest, stretching, freezing, talking, laughing, becoming delirious. So we were relieved to have 2 hours to "relax", but when we walked into our rooms we were a little disturbed and wondered why this hotel wasn't shut down by the disease control center or something!! I was also trying to figure out how they could get away with charging $120 for such a DUMP! If I wasn't so exhaused, delirious and sore you couldn't have paid me to touch that bed, but after inspecting it for bed bugs and taking off the disgusting blankets I laid down (thank goodness I had my own pillow) and got a 20 minute nap. I got up showered and we were on the road again...I was the first runner that morning.
Chris and I making us some breakfast.
Bubba, Tara, Me, Margo, Ann, and Chris


That sounds awesome! I've heard of this stuff before and I don't know if I would have the energy to run with lil to no sleep, but very impressive! Way to go :)
ReplyDeleteHow fun ... thanks for letting me re-live it again. It is such a great race and I'm so glad you got to do it with us. You did Great!
ReplyDeleteI am thinking about trying to run it next year....but it intimidates the crap out of me. We shall see!
ReplyDelete