to Jeremy's tonsils, deviated septum(s), uvula and hopefully snoring (fingers crossed)!! Jeremy decided, after a year of us discussing him getting these procedures done, that the perfect time to schedule the surgery is a few weeks before I have a baby :) So he went under the knife on Thursday. It was quite a funny sight, us both walking into the hospital, people thought we were there to deliver the baby. Of course it was the worst of worst days for me....I woke up having these really awful contractions and my let felt paralyzed. I could hardly walk. To give you an idea of how bad it was, Jeremy said, "you look like a dog dragging a broken leg behind." We made it to the waiting area and luckily they said I could stay in the room they had us waiting in while Jeremy went to surgery so I could lay on the bed. The only problem was I parked my car in a 2 hour parking spot and needed to move it a half hour ago....so they wheeled me down in a wheel chair. I felt really dumb, but hey I guess I had a good excuse.
Here is the patient about 2 hours after surgery. I had to laugh at him because the night before he asked me to bring his laptop to the room so he could work that night and the next day. I told him there was no way he would be able to function and even want to work. He hasn't had surgery since he was 12 and had his appendix out, so he really had no idea what he was in for with the anesthesia and morphine etc. I waited during the surgery which lasted about 3 hours, including the recovery time. They brought him to the room and the Dr. said everything went as planned and it all looked good. A few hours later we ordered room service and he was able to eat a strawberry shake and some creamy tomato soup. Jeremy stayed over night in the hospital and I picked him up around 4 the next day. He has been doing pretty well, and has been a great patient!
We went to the Dr. today and he got the splints out of his nostrils, but there is still a long road to recovery the Dr. said. Not fun for Jeremy, but he is hanging in there poor fella. They gave us the splints for souvenirs and I asked why we didn't get the tonsils in a pickled jar...he said they used to do that, but some kid ate his and got really sick because of the toxins and pickling formula. So now there is a law they can't give them to you. Isn't that how it always works, one idiot ruins things for the rest of us??!! I wanted to see the tonsils, especially since I didn't even know what they were. My brother-in-law likes to point out the fact that I have a master's degree, but thought tonsils were teeth! Good thing I am a social worker and not an ear, nose and throat Dr.!
Sorry guys! Dan had done the nose thing and I've done the tonsils! Both rough to recover from! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWe are glad you are this far along. It looks like a horrible surgery. Thanks for hanging in there Meg. We don't want little Mackenzie coming before she is due, but it won't be long now. only 16 more days. Thanks you guys for being such GREAT parents to our darling Grandchildran. This time around you know exactly what to expect:)
ReplyDelete