Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin fun

For Family Home Evening a few weeks ago, I wanted to carve pumpkins. So we went to this cute pumpkin patch right by our house to get our pumpkins. I guess this farmer does this every year and apparently its pretty popular!! I am guessing there were about 200 other people that had the same idea that night :) Anyway, Cameron got our wheelbarrow and we headed out to find the perfect pumpkins!


There were rows and rows and rows of pumpkins to choose from. Cameron seemed to enjoy looking at the pumpkins but got more excited when he found a rock that he could throw in Grammy and Grampy's ditch. The wheelbarrow had more rocks in it than it did pumpkins. I had to keep reminding him that we were there to get pumpkins not rocks!

The whole atmosphere of this place is fun and festive. They had old antique trucks that were set up for picture taking, bales of hay also set up for pictures, a corn maze for kids, tons of small and large tractors for the kids to sit on, a hay/tractor ride. We didn't plan on all the extra stuff, if I had known about all the other stuff I would have planned to spend more time there. And we actually spent longer than planned so we had to wait to carve the pumpkins for another night.


Maybe next year we will go do the corn maze...

Cameron had the most fun jumping off the hay to daddy.

But he also thought it was pretty cool to sit on the tractor.


We paid for our pumpkins and went home, it was too late to carve the pumpkins but we had a good time picking them out. Cameron kept saying all the little ones were for Kenzie.

Yay, we finally found a night free to carve them! Mommy drew the faces on the pumpkins and then daddy carved them. Cameron helped mommy decided what shapes to draw. He would say "do squares for eyes and a rectangle for a mouth" and then "do stars for eyes and a triangle for the mouth" etc.

Cameron intently watched daddy as he carved them. He wanted to help me draw on the pumpkins and wanted to help carve them with the knife.....

But he wasn't quite sure about getting the guts out. He isn't a kid that likes to get all messy and dirty. He kind of gets that from his daddy I think (notice how daddy uses a spoon, not his hand, to scoop the guts out?) Anyway, I assured Cameron that it was fun and he should try it.

He looked inside and thought about it for like 5 minutes,

Then he went for it, he pulled out one tiny seed and decided he didn't like the feel of using his hands,

So daddy let him borrow the spoon :)

2 comments:

  1. How darling. I wish I could have been there. Cam is really at the right age to enjoy all this crazy stuff. It certainly makes Halloween and Christmas more fun when you have little ones around. Love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such a cute pumpkin patch!! I love the tractor pictures--reminds me of Grandmas farm in Idaho:)

    ReplyDelete