After our wedding, Jeremy & I stayed 2 nights in a Marriott hotel in Park City. We decided to take our big honeymoon trip a year after we were married since we needed to travel across country to North Carolina. We had planned on loading up the UHAUL and leaving sooner than we actually were able to thanks to a big snow storm. It was an adventure to say the least! we left in a storm and it ended up taking us 5 days to get there. We would drive as far as we could and sleep in a hotel in varioius States. One day we had planned on switching drivers while the other one of us slept and driving through the night instead of staying at a hotel. Well, the weather changed our plans and the State we were driving through had closed the main road due to a heavy storm and nobody could get through. We had no option, but stop and rest. Driving a UHAUL is bad enough by itself, but throw on a car carrier attached to the back to haul my Jeep, and throw in horrible road coditions (some of the freeways weren't even plowed) and you have a scary adventure! I remember one point I was driving and was next to a big semi truck when all of a sudden my side of the road was pure slush/snow and zero road. The UHAUL started weaving and the car carrier was fish tailing...passing the semi truck seemed to take an eternity. Jeremy commented it was a good thing I was driving and not him since he's a novice at driving in the snow. We had fun "sneaking" Tica (our dog) into the hotels we slept in, espeically since they said NO PETS! We even ended up sleeping in a room that had a broken heater (burrrr) because Jeremy called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms and they said they would send a maintenance man to our room to fix it. After he hung up and told me I said "what do you plan to do with Tica while he is here?" It was 2 am and a blizzard outside so its not like we could go wait out there. He called the front dest back and said we got it working....that was one cold night!
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of our UHAUL packed or any of the 5 star hotels we stayed at in the States we drove through, but I did take this picture of our tire blow out. I took them because I couldn't believe it happened or that we even managed to survive it. We didn't just have a flat tire on the UHAUL....this is what you call a blow out! It delayed us half a day waiting for someone to come and give us a new tire. So, it was my turn to drive one night while Jeremy was sleeping. We were in some sort of canyon with a lot of down hill (like if you were driving out of Parley's Canyon). It was night and I was trying to make up for a lot of lost time so I was going 90. Well, Jeremy woke up and yelled "geeze turbo, slow down" (I'm sure just waking up and being disorented made it seem worse than it really was). Anyway, it scared me so I went to push on the brakes and somehow hit the ememrgency brake which not only slowed us down, but made some screeching siren beeping noise to alert us the emergency brake was on. Needless to say we were so happy to see our house in North Carolina when we got there at 4 am sometime the first week in December 2006.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Had we know what you were in for I think we would have kept you HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! But then, as the saying goes, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger!"
ReplyDeleteThat sure was a wild and crazy trip. I guess it must not have scared us too bad though because 14 months later we decided to do it again, only this time in our Tacoma instead of a U-Haul. It sure is a good thing that both of us like adventure. Thanks again for your excellent driving skills Meggie.
ReplyDelete